Friday, August 15, 2014

Finished a new baby quilt....

Below are images of a baby quilt I just finished (a little slow...baby is already a few months old). The embroidery images are from test stitch-outs that I did for embroidery designer, Tammie Pfeiffer, called Curley Sunbonnets. I have done tests for Tammie for several years and her designs are always great! When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do for this quilt for a baby girl, I remembered these darling designs.

I dug into my large rubber tote of saved test samples, squared up the test blocks and found a a small print in my stash for the alternate blocks, border and quilt-back.  I pieced my blocks, then let it all sit while I pondered how I would quilt it so the quilting would stabilize the quilt and not interfere with the embroidery. I wound up doing a simple diagonal quilting. I added a narrow 1/4" flange in a dark green print all around before adding the border and really liked the extra touch that the flange provided. Used commercial binding and added a label on the back. Finally washed, dried, and photographed. Voila! Quilt finished and ready to be delivered.

Whole quilt






























Some of the individual blocks:






All the embroidery designs are done in a lovely triple-stitch that shows up well and stitches quickly. You can order the Curley Sunbonnets embroidery designs in both the 4 x 4 or 5 x 7 sizes from Tammie at:
http://www.oregonpatchworks.com/collections.php?id=TAED

The individual blocks would also look great as an accent of the front of a purse or tote, or a collection of throw pillows, or .... let your imagination run!

Until next time, dear friends, remember:

The Lord's steadfast love toward us is great! The faithfulness of the Lord endures forever! Praise the Lord! (Psalm 117: 2, NRSV)


Monday, August 4, 2014

And the Winners of the The Convertible/Reversible Bag Tour and Giveaway Are...

What a thrill it was for me to participate in the Convertible/Reversible Bag Tour and Giveaway. It was a great blog tour and we had lots of visitors to all our sites who left lovely comments. But now the time has come to announce the winners:


Monday: Lori M.
Tues: Dee Dee F. 
Wed: Ruth-Dawn G.
Thurs: Jennifer H. 
Friday: Debi J.



The winners have been notified by Sarah. Thanks to all of you who participated and have a wonderful week!

I am in the process of finishing a lovely baby quilt with embroidered Sunbonnet Sue blocks that I will be sharing in the next few days.

If you sometimes struggle with decisions as I do, perhaps the following passage from Galatians 10:1 will help you as it has me:  "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

When I am struggling with which way to turn, both major and minor decisions, remembering this passage always helps me make the better decision. May your days be blessed.

Judith

Friday, August 1, 2014

Patches, patches, patches....

Spent some time patching jeans for my grandson who has a penchant for shredding the right knee in all of his pants. Thought I would share how I did it and show photos of the finished pants.

I first opened the flat seam on each pair of pants just enough to be able to lay the area to be patched open flat. Then I trimmed away excess fuzzies and strings around each hole, cut a soft scrap of denim just large enough to cover the torn area with about 1/2 inch all around the outside (some of these were very strange shapes). I changed to a jean needle (size 16) and sewed the soft denim scrap with a zig-zag stitch to the inside of the pant leg just to stabilize the area and to make sure it would feel comfortable. Because some of the pants were stretched around the torn area, I had to work to make it lay nice and flat.

Then I measured and cut a larger square or rectangular piece of sturdy denim to use on the outside (depending on the size of the hole, you could cut other shapes such as hexagons, ovals, stars, etc.). I made them fit between the seams of the pant leg so that I would not have to sew over the heavy seams. I actually made two for each pair of pants so that both legs would look the same, although only one leg on each pair actually needed patching.

Finally, I tacked down each patch just using a simple straight stitch and then went around again with a variety of decorative applique stitches that are one my machine. Finally, I finished each patch with decorative stitching that added some design elements that also made each patch sturdier. Finally, I resewed up all the seams.

For three pair that had frayed cuffs, I cut off the old cuffs and added new ones. My grandson thought the pants really looked cool and has been wearing them everyday since I finished them. He is still young enough to think Grammy is wonderful!

I thought they turned out pretty cute (as did my husband). Photos are below: