Monday, September 8, 2014

Around the World Blog Tour

Hi! Today is my day to post as part of the Around the World Blog Tour. I was invited by Lorena of my way of blog. I recently got acquainted with Lorena while testing the Convertible/Reversible Bag for Sarah Gido of Cozy Nest Design (see her link on the right side of my page). We had great fun testing that bag and the post about it can be found in my July 31st post. Lorena is a talented bag maker and tester who also crochets super-cute creative toys and dolls. Be sure to click on the link above to see her work.

So here goes....we were all asked to answer the same four questions....

What am I Working On?

Well, what I am working on today is all very hush, hush because I am testing a new pattern that has not been released yet. But as soon as the testing is finished and the pattern released, I will definitely blog about it!

However, I am delighted to share what I have just finished....The Maryland Bag by Sarah Goodall which can be found at Numb-Skull Patterns.  It was a fun bag to sew.
My finished bag from the front. It has a front zip pocket and an under-the-flap hidden zip pocket. It is a cross body mini messenger bag.
This shows the bag open with one inner zip pocket.

I had this lovely fabric remnant I had been saving for years for just the right project and it was great for this purse. The pattern is clearly written and was easy to follow. My main change was to quilt the fabric along some of the stripe lines. Unfortunately, my quilting is too subtle and the quilting doesn't show in the photos. I also re-purposed a strap from an old bag that matched the silvery gray in the fabric, so I didn't make the straps suggested in the pattern. I discovered a bit of matching colored ribbon in my stash and used that for the zipper pulls.

A close-up of my version of the Maryland Bag that shows the colors better than the first two photos above.
How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Hmm, is this a trick question? My work differs because of my own personal preferences, selections of fabrics, just like most other sewers. We each add our own touches...that's what makes sewing such a creative activity.

Why do I write/create what I do?

Well, I started my blog just a few months ago so I could be part of the Convertible/Reversible Bag Tour and Giveaway. I had so much fun working with the group testing the bag that I couldn't bear to be left out of the blog tour, so I started my blog. As to the why I write and create....I have to! It is part of who I am. I have been writing and creating artwork, sewing a wide variety of things from clothes to stuffed animals for my daughter when she was little, to quilts and now bags and purses. I find that spending time creating something is almost as necessary to who I am as breathing is to keeping me alive. 

How does my writing/creating process work?

Fits and starts and stumbles....well sometimes it seems that's how it works. For me, it seems to work differently depending on the activity or project. I sometimes like to just put stuff together to see how I like it. Othertimes, I am very step-by-step and overly organized. Most of the time, I work using a combination of the two extremes. I really am very concerned with craft-ship. I want things to be done the very best that I can do them, so I am often spending time with my seam ripper, or cutting another piece of fabric because I don't like the way my first choice worked out.

The photos below show the highlights of my process while creating the Maryland Bag (link to the page where you can order your own downloadable pattern is Numb-Skull Patterns):

First, I had to spend a lot of time auditioning fabrics from my stash. Above you see my selected zippers and fabrics. The exterior fabric pieces have also been interfaced with Pellon SF 101 and Fusible Fleece (since I had decided, or more honestly let the fabric decide, that I would quilt it).

Here, I have quilted and added the zipper pocket to the front panel that is covered by the flap.


Exterior assembled, front of bag with flap, d-ring tabs for straps pinned to sides. 

Assembled exterior with flap up showing flap snap, flap zipper pocket, and front panel with zipper pocket and strap d-ring tab pinned to side. 

Back of assembled bag.

Completed bag showing interior zipper pocket.

Completed bag showing the back view.


Final completed Maryland Bag hanging and laying flat with straps attached. Mine finished to approximately 8" wide by 9" tall by 3" deep. A great  smaller cross body bag that is perfect for running errands. 

******************************
Unfortunately, everyone I contacted was already part of this blog tour, so I have no new blogs to suggest for this tour, but I am sure that if you search for Around the World Blog Tour or Around the World Blog Hop, you will find a number of other posts. 

Thanks for stopping by! I recently won two patterns from blog giveaways that I will be talking about soon as well as the "hush, hush" test I am currently doing.

Ah, too many ideas and not enough time and energy (even though I am retired).

May God be with you and yours until we meet again.

"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."  Psalm 91, NIV


2 comments: