Thursday, September 25, 2014

Embroidered tote

I belong to Betty Falasca's embroidery group and she regularly runs a monthly contest for us to show what we have created using her designs. Betty is a wonderful designer and has many lovely designs that can be found on her site: http://www.bettysoriginalembroideries.com.

This month, I was able to eek out the time to participate. She had some lovely angel designs and I decided that one of the designs would be perfect to feature on the front for a tote. So I stitched out the design on my embroidery machine (Brother PR 600 II) and the began designing a simple tote that would highlight the embroidery. I also had a stash of batik fat quarters that were begging to be used.

I decided to work with these fall leaf colors. So here is a shot of the selected colors and a zipper for an inner zipped pocket. The muted orange piece on the bottom will become the lining.
The embroidered angel panel is surrounded by burgundy and orange batiks.
This will become the back of the tote utilizing the colors from the front with one additional orange. I have not yet added the top and bottom strips that will match the top and bottom strips on the front.
I first fused Pellon SF 101 to the pieced front and back. Then I added fusible fleece, sewed the front to the back and boxed the corners. I added 2 pieces of Peltex fused-together to give the tote a firm base.

Then I made my lining with an inset zipper pocket, added the cross-body strap and here's the finished tote. I used portions of 4 batik fat quarters for everything except the embroidered panel. I think it made a very cute tote, that is a nice medium size.
Finished cross-body tote showing the front.
Finished back of the same tote.
I am toying with a pattern and directions for this simple cross-body tote and took photos of the process so that I could use them in the directions. There are several refinements running around in my head, like a top inset zipper, an adjustable strap and inner slip pockets. However, I will be busy for at least the next few weeks testing new bags and tote patterns for others, so won't get back to this tote for a while.

In the meantime, may your lives be filled with our Lord's Blessings and may your days be filled with lots of lovely sewing. Come back soon, for I will have some great new bags to show (as soon as I can talk about them).

Hugs,
Judith

2 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous. A designer in the making I see. Just don't forget I'm a pattern tester LOLL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bag, and the embroidery is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete