Monday, October 6, 2014

My New Kentucky Bag....

The Kentucky Bag



I was privileged to test the Kentucky bag for Sarah Goodall of Numb-Skull Patterns, but had to wait to share until the pattern was released. You can go to her site to get your own down-loadable pattern by clicking on the link above.



First, I needed to select the fabrics. The light-colored flowered print is a lovely 1950's-1960's vintage piece that came from my Mother's stash. Since I lost my Mother several years ago, whenever I find a use for one of her old fabrics, it is like using a special treasure. The main print, is a Robert Kaufman screen print that has a nice body to it. The turquoise and black is a scrap that I had in my stash from years ago and is also a quilting cotton.






This bag has a lot of style as you can see from the shape and the decorative band on the front of the flap shown in the photo below. The same coordinating fabric can also be seen at the bottom edge of the bag in the 1st photo below, at the top edge of the front of the bag with the flap open in the 2nd photo below.

There  are four zipper pockets; one on the front under the flap, one on the back exterior and two inside. These make for great storage. Also notice the cool twist lock (although a snap can be used is place of the twist lock). It was my first twist-lock installation and I love the way it looks and works.

Front of Kentucky with flap closed.
Flap open showing front zipper pocket.

Flap open, showing inside one of the zipper pockets.
 Doesn't the vintage fabric really showoff the inside and coordinated nicely with the exterior and coordinating fabrics?

The bag is quite firm with just a firm fusible interfacing applied to all the exterior pieces, but one could also use a fleece and quilt it for different look.




Back of Kentucky bag showing zipper pocket. 
As always, Sarah's patterns have clearly written, easy-to-follow directions that make it easy to get a professional look.  The pattern is not difficult and was a lot of fun to sew.

Again, to make your own Kentucky, go to Numb-Skull Patterns to purchase your own pattern.



Happy sewing and may God be with you!
                                  Judith

"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."  Psalm 91, NIV


6 comments:

  1. Nice blog post, Judith. I love hearing the story behind the fabrics that are used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely fabrics... and not a bad looking bag too! (I am a definite Robert Kaufman fan.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate your kind comment. Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful bag, very nice pattern and your fabrics are lovely. You did a great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a lot of fun to make.

      Delete