Saturday, November 15, 2014

Zipper Pouches, Zipper Pouches

My sister talked me into doing a craft fair with her recently (she makes very nice jewelry) and so, in addition to a number of the purses I have done as tests, I made a number of zipper pouches to have some lesser expensive things to sell. My sister and I had a great time spending a day together, but the crowd was sparse and not buying anything from anyone. Anyway, that is not the point of this long overdue blog....zipper pouches are the point. I made a number of them last year as Christmas gifts for friends and family and they were so well received, I thought I would make some more.


All of the fabrics are quilting cottons, scraps from other projects that I couldn'g bear to part with. The one with bird houses was from a larger piece that had this lovely border on the bottom. All but the small pouch in the front with the autumn leaves pattern were quilted (because I love to quilt small items) and have boxed bottoms. All are lined and one or two have slip pockets inside.

The two on the upper left (gorgeous blue and black floral and the lovely striped multi-color pattern) have top zippers. The others all have zippers placed a bit down from the top. In the middle, above the birdhouses, the light aqua one, has an exposed zipper and decorative stitching using stitches from my sewing machine. The darker blue-green on above it, has a detachable flower that I had made some time ago on my embroidery machine doing embroidery on organza. 

The largest one on the upper right was designed to incorporate a test of an embroidery design.  Zipper pouches are just one of a number of ways I have been able to use the test stitches of embroidery designs. 

Making zipper pouches is a great way to use up small pieces of fabric, practice quilting, and wind up with a lot of lovely gifts to share or sell. They are easy to make and you will find a wide variety of free tutorials online. Once I tried a few different tutorials, then I just adapted and made whatever sizes fit the fabric scraps I had. Unfortunately, this little endeavor did not even make a dent in my fabric scraps, so I will be doing more pouches and other small items in between larger projects. 

I am currently doing my first Necessary Clutch Wallet in what I call Arizona sunset colors. As soon as it is finished I will blog about it. I took photos of last night's spectacular sunset on our walk and you can see one below.


May God be with you until we chat again! Happy sewing. 
                                                                             Judith



7 comments:

  1. Your pouches are so sweet, shame the craft fair didn't go so well. It's like that sometimes, maybe nearer Christmas when people are looking for gifts. I love making them when I need a break from making large bags. Quick to make and instant gratification. Looking forward to seeing your NCW. I've made a few and love them.
    That sunset is amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. I appreciate your comments. I hope to finish the NCW in the next few days.

      Delete
  2. They are lovely and those fabrics are gorgeous. These kind of pouches are great for gift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Gave away several for gifts and they were all appreciated.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. I am enjoying your comments, thoughts and pictures. That sunset is gorgeous! Can't wait for the NCW pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I am blessed to live in the desert where we get incredible sunsets and sunrises. Blog about my NCW just posted.

      Delete