Monday, February 9, 2015

Sugar and Spice Bag Sew Along

Sugar and Spice Bag front

I recently completed my Sugar and Spice Bag by ChrisW Designs (you can get your own pattern by clicking on the ChrisW Designs link on the right side of my page). I love ChrisW's patterns. They are always very clearly written with lots and lots of photos and this bag was no different. When I saw the sew along mentioned on  ChrisW Designs Pattern Group on FB, I immediately bought the pattern and got ready to go. My January became a bit complicated, so I failed at my intentions to blog as I went along. 

This is a great sized bag (about 14" x 8" x 3") with 4 exterior slips pockets (2 on the front and 2 on the back) and a secure inset zipper on top. I learned a lot about installing piping with this bag since the exterior slip pockets, top edge and all exterior seams are piped (of course, you don't have to add all the piping if you would prefer not to). I think the piping makes it a really stylish and elegant bag. I did mine in vintage cotton fabrics. 

Bag showing front and back exteriors assembled prior to adding the base. You can still see the raw edges at the top and bottom of the bag.

This show the exterior pockets installed, top and side piping.
This show the base installed with the piping around the edge. 

In the lining I used one zipper pocket and 2 sets of slip pockets. 
Inside slip pockets on one side. A zipper pocket and 3 slip pockets are on the other side.
Finished bag from the top showing inset zipper and handles.
This was a really great bag to make and participating in the sew along was a lot of fun. Thanks Christine Welsh for another great pattern. 


Until next time, may you sew with joy, stay healthy and be filled with God's awesome blessings!
                                   Judith

7 comments:

  1. Great job! And you did all the piping!! You are brave and talented of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it actually was a lot of fun and quite empowering.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Bag, the piping looks great, you did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. The floral fabric is so pretty. It would look great as a matching wallet. Your piping looks amazing. So tidy. Well done it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. Great idea about the wallet, have to add it to my to do list. I learned a lot doing the piping on this bag and plan to use piping a lot more. Love this bag!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Maria. Great idea about the wallet, have to add it to my to do list. I learned a lot doing the piping on this bag and plan to use piping a lot more. Love this bag!

      Delete