Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Faux Suede Lombard Street Bag


Front of Lombard Street Bag

Just finished and delivered my first work with faux suede, but my 3rd Lombard Street Bag by ChrisW Designs. You can get your pattern by clicking on the link on the right side of this post.

Working with faux suede was interesting and offered a few challenges. I tested it first and found that it tolerated ironing with heat for synthetics, but I also found that it wanted to stretch and fray a bit. So I fused a woven interfacing (Pellon SF 101) to the back of every piece and that solved my strectch and fray issues.  One caution is that it is important to see which way the nap runs on both faux suede (or actual suede) and align everything in the same direction. I marked the top back of each piece with a small T in the seam allowance to help me keep everything properly oriented as I assembled the bag.

I also did a simple outline embroidery on the front slip pocket and the faux suede accepted the embroidery great. I did not hoop the suede, I hooped a medium tearaway stabilizer and then used my Magna Hoop system to hold the fabric in place on top of the stabilizer with magnets that attach to the frame.

I also quilted all the pieces that had soft and stable so that I could just leave the soft and stable out of the seam allowances, but still have it stay securely in place. I also happen to like the look of quilting.

Back of Lombard Street Bag with the iPad/tablet pocket closed
Back of Lombard Street Bag with iPad/tablet pocket open
Top of bag showing inset zipper
The layers of suede get pretty thick, but sewed beautifully by just using a size 16 needle and sewing slowly over the thicker areas. I was even able to topstitch both sides of the zipper around the iPad/tablet pocket. I can't wait to use faux suede again in the near future (I think some fabric I recently picked up from a costume designer friend of my daughter is also a faux suede in a burgundy color).

Just as an aside, I chose this particular suede because the lady the bag is for was at one time a working cowhand, doing all the chores the cowboys did. If you want mor info about the Lombarb Street Bag, see my earlier blogs. I am currently carrying the one I did as part of a sew along earlier this year and love it!

Until next time, may you sew with joy, stay healthy and be filled with God's awesome blessings!
                                   Judith

No comments:

Post a Comment