Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Loretta Tassel Bag by Delinda Boutique

Loretta Tassel Bag front showing large exterior slip pocket
I recently got to sew another bag as a test for Delinda Boutique Patterns -- the Loretta Tassel Bag (click to get your own pattern).  This is a nice roomy shoulder bag that finishes to about 15" wide x 2.5" deep and 12.5" high with handles that have a 9" drop. It has a large front exterior slip pocket that is lined and could be divided into two slip pockets. I left mine the full width of the bag.

I  used an antique button as a decoration on the front of the exterior slip pocket rather than using a tassel. The exterior fabrics are home deco weight (the flower print has a denim feel and the dark blue is more like a trigger cloth, both are from my stash of vintage fabrics). Quilting weight cotton was used for the lining.


Back of bag 
I  added a bit of free form quilting to keep my foam stabilizer in place and because I like the way it looks. I quilted both the front and back although the front pocket covers most of the quilting.

Interior showing zipper pocket with a peek at the gold fabric I used for for the pocket

Interior showing divided slip pocket made from the exterior fabric
The bag closes with a magnetic snap that can be seen in the photos above. However, one can easily add an inset zipper closure if desired. I found the 9" handle drop a bit tight. When I make this bag again, I will add 3-4 inches to the handles. Several of the other testers added length to the handles during our test sew.

This is a relatively easy bag to sew. It is important to read and follow the directions carefully because of the way the gussets are offset so that when you assemble the interior and exterior pieces your bag will end up with a nice professional looking finish. The pattern directions and photos are excellent and the pattern is clearly marked showing where stitching needs to stop so that the gussets join nicely to the exterior.

It was also a quick bag to sew. It has just a few main pieces, so cutting out goes quickly. Other testers used a variety of fabrics and faux leathers with excellent results.

I also got to test another new bag from Delinda Boutique that I will be sharing about as soon as that pattern is released.

Until next time, may you sew with joy, stay healthy and be filled with God's awesome blessings!
                                   Judith













1 comment:

  1. Your bag is lovely Judith. The fabric is gorgeous and my kind of colours, cool and calm. Also like the quilting, made me smile when I saw it. I started wavy quilting for the same reason, it was a good way of keeping foam and layers together. I always had this fear of someone buying my bag and the fleece or whatever I used came away from the bag and flopped to the bottom. Now I do the wavy quilting on everything.

    ReplyDelete