Saturday, September 19, 2015

Pick A Pocket Wallet by ChrisW Designs




Early this past summer ChrisW Designs came out with the Pick A Pocket Wallet that is a relatively slim wallet and I immediately made the wallet shown at the top. As soon as I had time, I made the one in the middle and at the beginning of this month, I just finished the purple batik one as part of a lovely sew along. The first and third have quilting weight cotton exteriors and the middle one is made with a faux leather exterior.

All three have twelve card pockets, one zipper pocket, an ID window, three slip pockets for cash or receipts and one slip pocket that will hold most phones. There is an option for doing two zipper pockets and only four card pockets. I made all three of mine with the twelve card pockets - one zipper pocket option. The wallet finishes to a closed size of about 3.5" high x 7.5" wide by 0.5" deep.

Interior of first wallet made with a blend fabric.
Interior of faux leather wallet made with quilting cotton.



Interior of purple wallet made of quilting cottons. Although the turquoise pattern is predominant in this photo, there is purple in the swirls that matches the purple exterior.

Back of faux suede wallet featuring a lovely border that was printed along one edge of the fabric. I love the gold shimmer in this faux leather and plan to make more items with it.







As most of you know, my fabrics are almost always vintage from my stash (which has been augmented over time with fabrics from others) and that is true of all the cloth fabrics. The faux leather is newer and I got it from a friend of my daughter who is a costume designer so I have no particulars about any of them. 

I really enjoy making this attractive and practical wallet pattern (in case you can't tell). It is not hard, but accurate cutting and sewing is mandatory. I was impressed at how easy it was to do with the faux leather, but it could be difficult if your faux leather was thick because the final assembly requires sewing through multiple layers.

As always with patterns from ChrisW Designs, the directions are very detailed with lots of clear photos. I usually just print the pattern pieces and the text-only directions and pull up the more detailed directions with photos on my computer to refer to as I go along. The sew along was on ChrisW Designs' delightful blog and had some cool tips for making the card pockets. 

You can get your own pattern and find Chris' blog by clicking on the ChrisW Designs link on the right side of this page. 

Until next time, may you sew with joy, stay healthy and be filled with God's awesome blessings!
                                                                                                                                 Judith





2 comments: