Monday, November 13, 2017

Fiona's Freeway by Chris W Designs -- Chris W Designs Global Blog Tour

Front of cloth with vinyl accents, small flap and grommet version
Front of caramel and black designer leather, large flap, no grommet version

Front of burgundy and black leather, large flap, no grommet version

Front of blue leather, large flap, no grommet version
I was really happy to be able to feature Fiona's Freeway, one of my favorite Chris W Designs patterns, for this incredible blog tour. I was privileged to test this pattern before it was released several months ago and have since made several more. I will share four of my Fiona's Freeway bags in this blog. Be sure to read this entire blog for information on discounts during the blog tour and even a chance for two lucky readers to win this pattern.

The pattern (like all of Chris W Designs patterns) is clearly written with lots of helpful illustrations and great sewing tips. It is part of her Easy Street collection of patterns. The pattern comes with two flap styles and with both a grommet and no grommet version. The top flap closes with a magnetic snap. The grommet version also has a pull strap. The bag is designed for fabric with vinyl or cork accents but you will see that I have adapted it for leather. It has a vertical zip pocket on the front. Inside is another zip pocket, a slip pocket and a roomy center. It is a comfortable smaller cross-body bag that is perfect for carrying daily essentials, finishing to about 9" wide x 10" high x 3.5" deep.

Back

Back

Back
Back
Above are photos of the backs of my 4 purses. This bag is a cross-body bag and the back lies nice and flat against your side. It also stands nicely on its flat base. The photos below feature views of the large vertical front zipper pocket that is perfect for your phones, keys or glasses.

View featuring front vertical zipper pocket
View featuring front vertical zipper pocket


View featuring front vertical zipper pocket
View featuring front vertical zipper pocket

The next series of photos shows interior views with the zipper and slip pockets.

Interior

Interior

Interior

Interior
For my leather bags, I used full grain designer leathers in the 3-3.5 ounce weight for the exteriors and home decorator fabrics for my linings. For the cloth version I used a heavy cotton fabric exterior with vinyl accents and cotton fabric for the lining.

This bag is fun to sew and can be made rather quickly. For fabric with vinyl or cork accents, your domestic machine should work fine. I believe that this bag can easily be made by any sewer who is a confident beginner or above. If you want to use leather, you will need an industrial machine and knowledge of working with leather.

If you like to sew to sell, this is also great pattern for you! My clients have loved it! You can buy the pattern from Chris W Designs here.

Two lucky people will win a free pattern for Fiona's Freeway! To enter, just post a comment below with your answer to this question: What is your favorite style handbag? This contest will end on the 15th of November 2017. I will assign a number for each entrant and the winning numbers will be chosen by Michelle of Michelle's Creations.  The winners will be posted a couple days after the 15th. You can find the link to her blog below. Scroll down for more contests, tour schedule and lots more!

Until next time, may you sew with joy, stay healthy and be filled with God's awesome blessings!                                                                                                                                          Judith
A special thanks to our awesome sponsors:


 

Tour Discounts

  • ChrisW Designs is taking 20% off all patterns until end of day (Australian Central Standard Time) November 21. Code GlobalBlogTour17 (applied automatically with this link. Buy without fear: If you purchase during the tour and then win a pattern, your purchase price will be refunded.
  • Handbag Hardware Australia (aff link) is offering a 10% discount for the duration of the tour. Use code: CWD10. (Excludes interfacing and Emmaline Bling.)
  • Bobbin Girl has a 10% discount using code BLOGTOUR17. (Not to be combined with any other discount or rewards points.)
  • Gold Star Tool is taking 15% off for our tour readers. Use code chriswdesigns.
  • Zipit (aff link) is also offering a 10% discount on shop items. Use code ChrisWDesigns.

Giveaway 

Prizes:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Tour Schedule

(Australia Central Standard Time)

// Please note that none of these post links are available before the scheduled date (ACST). If you click on one too early, you will get an "Error 404: Page not found." You know about those, right? // Sunday, November 12
Monday, November 13
Tuesday, November 14
Wednesday, November 15
Thursday, November 16
Friday, November 17
Saturday, November 18
Tuesday, November 21
  • Giveaway winners announced on all the blogs:
ChrisW Blog, Glitter in my Coffee, Michelle's Creations, Flying by the Seam of my Pants, Serial Bagmakers, Tiger in a Tornado, Vanaehsa, Judith Stitches and More, Doctora Botones, Sewsewilse, Suck It Up Buttercup, Vicky Myers Creations, Marvelous Auntie M, inspinration, Fée bricolo, Trisha's Craft Corner

78 comments:

  1. I love smallish cross body bags, I need to make one of these,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hobo style bags or anything with pockets, I love pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #2 I also like Hobos and I add pockets to everything.

      Delete
  3. I really like crossbow bags. This is new for me, I thought they were too small but then I started seeing bigger ones like Fiona Freeway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #3 Fiona is a nice small-medium size, but crossbody bags come in all sizes.

      Delete
  4. I love cross body bags with tons of pockets

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am into the tote bags these days, definitely with an outer slip pocket to keep the cell handy and a zip top to keep the goods in place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #5 Did you see the Amalfi I did recently?

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. #6 Check out the Lunar collection by Chris W Designs.

      Delete
  7. Great bags - looking at your images and wishing I had a machine which could cope... one day:) I love my sashiko denim tote I made a couple of years back - I can thrown anything and everything in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small cross body bags like the Serendipity Hip. So easy to grab and go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #10 Great! I make a lot if smaller grab and go bags including the Serendipity Hip.

      Delete
  9. I like to carry totes but love making weekenders

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like hobo with pockets inside and outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #12 Hobos are really cool. Plan to make one in leather soon.

      Delete
  11. Love the outside vertical pocket, great design

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely crossbody. Others fall off my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sew hard to choose. I love making them all, but I love the EveryDay Tote. Its roomy and sew easy to make. It looks and feels like a high dollar bag you would purchase at a dept store. I'm an addicted bag maker. Just call me The Bag Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm currently working on a hobo style bag that I really really like. I also adore the simple tote bag and crossbody bags.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in love with crossbodies worth recessed zippers and lots of fun pockets

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in love with crossbodies worth recessed zippers and lots of fun pockets

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like crossbody bags on the larger size. I like taking the kitchen sink with me when I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #18 I gave up carrying the kitchen sink when I got arthritis in my shoulders.

      Delete
  18. These are all beautiful bags, Judith! Once I hope to create some as you. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #19 Thank you. I am sure you will create some too.

      Delete
  19. I like crossbody bags most although I have been using shoulder bags here and there. I still have a toddler so I need space for all those things you accumulate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #20 Ahh yes, I remember the toddler days...even the grand-toddler days!!

      Delete
  20. My favourite style is the backpack purse that is more purse than backpack. There are so many new style out there these days.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My favourite style is crossbody. I like to have my hands free and my handbag easy to access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! Bekki, You are one of the winners of a Fiona's Pattern. I need your full name and email address so that your pattern can be sent to you.

      Delete
  22. My favorite is also a crossbody. I don't have to try to keep it on my shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favorite style of bag is a bucket bag with an adjustable shoulder strap. I love your Fionas! They look great, and are on my list of bags to make.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your leather bags are stunning! I don't think my machine would take leather but it looks so amazing in your bags! Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #25 Thanks. Leather does require an industrial machine.

      Delete
  25. I find backpacks are really practical, i like to have my hands free and weight evenly distributed

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like cross body bags.. five kids so I need my hands free!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I truly love making all kinds of bags but one favourite is for sure a Crossbody bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #27 Sounds like a true bag maker to me!!

      Delete
  28. My favorite style bag is a cross body zipped bag. Love your Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love Fionna Freeway, I've only made one so far but I made it at 200% and I loved it! I am going to make on regular size soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #29 Wow, I need to try one a bit larger!! These were all at the regular size.

      Delete
  30. Contest part is over for my blog. Please still leave comments. Will publish the 2 winners of Fiona's Freeway patterns in the next 24 hours. Thanks to all who participated!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are stunning in leather! I especially loved the burgundy and black version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like working with leather.

      Delete
  32. My favorite style of handbag is one that has both inner and outer pockets and a long strap to hang on my shoulder. I don't like long flaps on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like smaller bags with pockets and zips. Your bags shown in this post are fantastic. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love giant open shoulder bags/totes. And tons of pockets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with tons of pockets. My shoulders won't handle the giant anything, but I make them for others.

      Delete
  35. I love a bag that can be converted into a backpack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only made one in that style, but they are intriguing.

      Delete
  36. Replies
    1. Totes are great. I have made a lot of them.

      Delete
  37. I like small crossbody style bags. Love the leather tassels you put on these!

    ReplyDelete